Friday, March 27, 2009

BAKE.

Last night, I made half a batch of Mohnschnecke, my all-time favorite baked good. (Note: If you know me, you know that I'm a baked-good fiend. Truly, it was difficult to determine that Mohnschnecke are indeed the top-ranked - I also love a good danish - but my decision is final. For now.) The 'schnecke (if I can so abbreviate them w/o looking like a total douchebag) turned out objectively well: that is, the final product was delicious and pleasant looking. But it didn't taste like the bakery version(s) available in Berlin. Perhaps this discrepancy is inevitable? I'm not sure. I'm an OK baker, but not a great baker; I have never invented my own recipe. I have a few ideas for altering the recipe I used - OK, one idea - and I will see how this alteration pans out. Mostly, though, I was happy to be baking, happy to be remembering Mohnschnecke and the wonderful bakery experience that is Germany. Also: happy to have so many poppy seeds in my possession.

I love poppy seeds.

This weekend will be frantic and glorious. I will finish editing my thesis, and Jane and I are having a bake-a-thon Saturday afternoon and evening. This bake-a-thon will be accompanied by the viewing of Now and Then, which I haven't seen since I was approximately eleven and which I don't remember. (It is also Jane's favorite movie.) So, fun and hellish business, hopefully in some sort of balance.

No comments: