Thursday, March 5, 2009

Musical choice.

I'm not someone who is able to listen to music while working. This is a sad fact, as I enjoy listening to music - as an accompaniment to another activity and as a singular activity - very much. In fact, I think listening while working would improve the work experience, and consequently my greater quality of life. For a brief time in high school, I was able to listen to certain classical recordings while working on math homework, but only classical, and only with math. This fleeting trend gave me hope that someday, I might join the ranks of those who can listen/work, but no dice. I'm sitting in my kitchen in silence.

This disability notwithstanding, I can work while I have a song in my head. At times, I'll listen to an album just before starting to write or edit so that album's "imprint" or echo is left with me. Just before sitting down, I listened to Challengers. It's aftereffects are priming me for an hour of good editing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoy listening to classical, ambient, or very soft music with lyrics while I work. I usually plug my ipod into my work computer and start it up.

Although sometimes I wish I could work in silence. I find it difficult to work in silence. I don't know why.

Peach Pit said...

I'm hoping that I can train myself to listen to ambient music while working - in fact, I might start this afternoon. Really uptempo or loud stuff, though? It will probably never happen.

Paula said...

The ONLY music I can listen to while writing is Erykah Badu. Isn't that weird?

Peach Pit said...

Weird, perhaps - but excellent.
I am going to experiment with writing while listening to Jolie Holland.