Wednesday, January 14, 2009

One of my goals for '09 is to read at least 50 books. I'm not doing so well at meeting this goal - not yet - because for all of the new year, I've been reading the same book: The Ecco Anthology of Contemporary American Short Fiction (2008). Which leads me to wonder, in a situation such as this (i.e., reading a certain number of books in a fixed amount of time), does an anthology count as one book, or several? If several, how many?
I'm guessing that one anthology = one book, but I felt like putting the question out there.

Also: this is hilarious.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you can only count it as one book, but brag about it to people. That's what I did with Infinite Jest.

Someone: How many books did you read this year?

Me: Oh, about 55, but one of them was Infinite Jest.

Someone: (head explodes)

Peach Pit said...

Heh. Good call. I guess this so-called problem isn't really a problem - I love reading anthologies. They're like the Whitman's Samplers of lit. (I used to love Whitman's Samplers, FYI.)