Sunday, January 10, 2010

<3 <3 <3 Saturdays

Best Saturday ever! Here's why:

1) Hook and I woke up early to walk to the Ferry Building farmers' market. Walking everywhere is a common passion of ours, and we'd planned all week to hit the farmers' market for the produce we'd need for the next few days or so. (Aside: one of our joint resolutions for 2010 is to follow a modified version of the 100-mile diet. That is, we hope only to eat foods grown or produced within a 100-mile radius of San Francisco, with the exception of coffee, chocolate, some beers, and flour.) The market was awesome: just today, we purchased a bunch of carrots, a satchel of peppers (bell and banana), three blood oranges, one Asian pear, two onions, two cloves of garlic, a bunch of kale, a bunch of beets, green onions, fennel, two sunchokes, an 8-oz. bag of dark chocolate almond brittle, red popcorn, a bunch of lavender, and half a pound of dried Jacob's Cattle beans (an heirloom variety). Need I mention that all these items were local and organic? Had we not run out of cash and been so reluctant to wait in the ATM line, we could have bought tons more; I was tempted by the merchant selling organic salami. Hook wanted a bunch of black Spanish radishes. There's another (less bougie) market being held at Civic Center tomorrow, but I think we have enough produce - for the time being.

2) Finally putting my money where my mouth is, I bought a bike. While I was back in Minnesota, I sold my car. I'd been planning for some time to buy a bike, but today I just walked into the bike store, test rode a few models, and settled on this one. It's the nicest bike I've ever had - it shifts beautifully and is super light. Tomorrow, Hook is going to rent a bike and we'll ride through Golden Gate Park and maybe farther. Hopefully farther.

3) Tonight, Hook cooked me a dinner of roasted beets served over a bed of beet greens sauteed in garlic, garnished with walnut brittle. YUM. The 100-mile diet is rocking already. Hook always rocks.

No comments: