Thursday, April 9, 2009

Who will cut our hair when we're gone?

Friday, I entered a new life phase: Life After Thesis. Yes. At 3:30 pm on April 3rd, 2009, I distributed my manuscript to my committee (via campus mailboxes, of course). I guess I shouldn't put the cart before the horse: I have yet to send my committee my introduction, and I haven't done my defense yet. Still, not having to work on/think about/dream about/obsess over my thesis is the best feeling ever. True, I still have to finish an independent study and write my screenplay for the Fiction to Film class, but both of these tasks seem straight-up undaunting compared to the Behemoth. All right!

Um, I don't have much news, mostly because I've been filled with pure joy and subsequently frolicking in the fields, skipping down the lanes, etc. Sort of. Actually, I have been applying to many jobs, as I was not hired by the (previously-considered) Dream Employer. This was a major letdown, and I know I shouldn't reasonably have expected to be hired by the first company I applied to, but I made it through three rounds of interviews. I mean, they flew me out there, for chrissake. The worst part is, they would not even tell me why they hired someone else! So I've decided that this company is no longer the Dream Employer, because they obviously do not consider me the Dream Employee - which I am.

On the plus side, E and I have started apartment hunting. (Maybe this is a plus? It's a plus because we need a place to live, but apartment hunting just blows.) We've found a few cute, reasonably-priced places near the Capitol, and his dad and sis are going to check them out for us tomorrow. The bad news: most leases in Madison start August 16th, and my lease here ends July 1st. I do not understand this 8/16 lease policy! I guess it could be convenient if you're already living in the city, but it's absolutely asinine if you're living elsewhere & moving in. Plus, I don't think it would actually be that convenient - everyone in the metro moving on the same day? Doesn't that spell total pandemonium? E says people sleep in the streets??? I suppose it must work, else the policy would have been scrapped...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a weird rule about the leases. You and E are welcome to come stay at Casa Chiblooney for a few days during the interregnum, if you so choose.

Good luck apartment hunting!

Peach Pit said...

Thanks, Bibs!
I still cannot get over the weird standardization of leases in Madison; I guess there are some (a few) places with non-8/16 leases, but these places are in the vast minority. We'll see: I am not one to be without a home! If necessary, I'll get creative!

ahook said...

I don't think I had an 08/16 lease. Check out Butler Plaza!

Peach Pit said...

Indeed I shall...indeed I shall! The thought of 1) having to find a summer job here, and 2) having to spend another summer here is more than a bit unsettling.

ruth said...

Perhaps there are those that are stuck in their leases until August 15 that you could sublet from? Good luck!