Friday, February 6, 2009

Today is going to be awesome because:

1) It's payday! (yeah, yeah!)
2) After work, I'm getting my hair treated with the magical protein serum! (yeah, yeah!)
3) Tonight I'm cooking bok choy! (yeah, yeah!) (Bok choy and teriyaki chicken, that is. And watching "Mallrats" with E. I've never seen "Mallrats" - can you believe this? I have the soundtrack...)

This morning, everything seems to warrant a "yeah, yeah!" But this is good, right?

Yesterday morning, I read a NY Times article about the popularity of going fridge-less. I hadn't realized that there was an "unplug your fridge for good" movement; my ignorance of this trend doesn't surprise me too much, because even though I recycle and walk/bus as much as possible and all these good things, I would not consider myself an ueberenvironmentalist. Anyway, reading about this shift in some people's buying/cooking habits made me think of Germany, where people's fridges are generally smaller than ours - some the size of dorm fridges, actually - and where people aren't super obsessed with refrigeration. Eggs aren't refrigerated in the store; some people leave open containers of juice on their counters. (That was just my host mom, actually, but you know...)
For the short time that I was there, I felt like I became more comfortable with not refrigerating certain foods that could, for a certain time, be left out. Then, when I got back to the US, my old obsession reared up and now everything's kept cold.

I did a little mental exercise, recollecting the current contents of my fridge and determining what, if anything, could be transferred to the counter/pantry. Apples could be moved. Bread: moved. Lettuce, if I used it within the day, would be OK. Eggs (reluctantly) could stay on the counter. A lot of my condiments (salad dressings, ketchup, mustard, etc.) need to be kept cold, I think, as do my dairy and meat products. With more deliberate shopping habits and better meal planning strategies, I could definitely get by with a dorm fridge.

***

One of lnb's recent tweets (about the beautiful house) made me think of a house in Galesburg that I saw for the only time during senior week. A. and I were driving back from a diner - was it the Brickyard? I feel like it was way out past Dick Blick - and we saw a house with a fake leg hanging from the front porch. A mannequin leg. I wanted to take a picture but didn't have my camera, and when we went back, we couldn't find the place. It was straight out of Flannery O'Connor, and I sometimes wonder if I didn't imagine it.

Also: Bibnall, I totally lied yesterday about the absence of independently-owned donut shops in my area. There's a family-run place on Rte. 9 called "The Donut Man," and I've only been there once (for coffee and a pistachio muffin - this was three years ago). But now I'm geared up to visit and get an actual donut. Yeah, yeah!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I was confused as to why an area like that in Massachusetts didn't have a local donut shop.

Peach Pit said...

Well, I am confused that there aren't more donut shops and bakeries...
To be fair, this donut shop is about a seven minute drive from my house (there are no shops within walking distance - except Dunkin Donuts, which doesn't count).