Sunday, April 13, 2008

WAFFLES.


Yes, waffles: pure deliciousness. I have not eaten a waffle lately but was somehow acutely reminded of how good they are. Since this reminder, I've been finding pictures of the best looking waffles and wishing I had a waffle-iron.

Waffles.

Waffles.

That word sounds strange to me now.

***
A good weekend, if not the most productive. Friday was low-key [since Thursday was a late night out with S. and D.]: filled out forms for my summer job, had lunch at the ABC with Eric, watched a movie. Yesterday, too, was lounge-y, but more quest-filled - when I woke up, I really, really wanted coffee and a pastry, but not just these things: I wanted these things in a quaint cafe setting. So I laced up my shoes and brought Eric with, and we searched Northampton for a good cafe. Woodstar seemed the obvious choice, and it was a choice obvious to everyone else: it was packed. Bakery Normand seemed like it might have good pastries (I've only ever tried the bread), but nowhere to sit. We ended up at the cafe side of Sylvester's, which had great coffee and pretty good baked goods but a less-than-optimal dining room setup. Sigh.

Though I've lived here two years, this town's lack of bakeries continues to surprise and annoy me. Damn! If Galesburg could have Swedough's and Uncle Billy's, why can't Northampton - which is larger and also surrounded by more colleges - have anything similar? My personal goal, after completing the program, may be to open a bakery here. Though I'd first have to learn baking skillz and acquire mad startup cash. A project.

After brunch, we bummed around town for a bit, played a little basketball at the court at Bridge St. School, went to the gym, went shopping for clothes to wear to Ruth and Adam's wedding (I found a dress!). And then, an indoor picnic dinner: hot-dogs, corn on the cob, chips, and Amstel Light. The night air blew in through the screen door and the sounds of outside people were far away. It was a perfect meal.

No comments: