Friday, October 2, 2009

God, when did it get dark out?

Today was field trip day for the fourth graders. The destination? Day one of the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival(!) If you think that taking 20 rowdy nine-year-olds to a festival sounds like a crazy idea - well, you're right. Kids were running and screaming and tearing their sandwiches to pieces and throwing these pieces in the air, and it was altogether a great time. MC Hammer played, and the class (though most of them had little to no idea who he was) went nuts. S. (the student teacher) and I milled and chatted and tried to prevent kids from running into the "woods." When we returned to school, the class had recess, free reading time, and more recess.

When I was in elementary school, we did not take cool field trips. Once, we went to the wastewater processing plant, but that's all I remember.

Day one of the move went well, though I have to buy a bunch of stuff (mattress pad, bookshelf, dowel for the closet, cushions for the mission chair) to make my room fully livable. I'm excited, though - I'm going to have a reading/plant nook!

On which note: time to kill that anthology.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

MC Hammer at a bluegrass festival? Also, I'm eager to know more about this job you have.

Unknown said...

Also, I remember visiting the St.Louis water treatment plant when I was a kid too. I specifically remember someone saying, "Look kids, the pipe yard!" and we just stood there in silence. Woo.

Peach Pit said...

Well, the festival is mostly bluegrass but includes other acts, too (evidenced by Hammer). As for the job, I'm working as a para for a student with autism. The school I work at is a creative arts charter (i.e., hippie) school, and my class takes lots of field trips(!)