Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I did not sign up for this weather package

(and other tales of New England meteorological discontent.)

What a week! What a weekend! Highlights (chronologically, not in order of importance):

1) Thursday, Ali and I made an awesome batch of blueberry muffins. Alright: I did the prep, baking, and cleanup, but Ali kept me company and later taught me the basics of needlepoint, so we're even. I'd be remiss if I didn't include the recipe for said wundermuffins:

Blueberry Oat Muffins
(Yield: 18 muffins)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 2 cups fat-free or low-fat buttermilk
  • 1 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp. grated orange zest
  • 1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
  1. Combine oats and buttermilk in mixing bowl. Cover; let stand 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray muffin pan cups with nonstick cooking spray or use pleated paper liners.
  3. Combine buttermilk mixture, flour, sugar, oil, baking powder, baking soda, salt, eggs and orange zest in second mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Fold in blueberries and walnuts. Spoon batter into prepared cups, filling them 3/4 full.
  4. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately; place on wire rack to cool.
(Recipe taken from Vegetarian Times, January 1, 2005. And yes, we did use walnuts.)

Not only were the muffins ueber-easy to prepare (I grated orange zest and measured the other ingredients while the oats and buttermilk sat, undisturbed), but they're healthy, too - 130 calories each without the nuts, about 155 with. They are also unstoppably delicious.

2) Also on Thursday, I began my first ever cross stitch project: a small hamburger! I only have a few rows of stitching thus far - packing has sort of taken over my life - but I think I can finish the project by the end of the week. Maybe.

3) This weekend, Cecily and Chris got married. The ceremony, held in an orchard at Quonquont Farm, was simple and beautiful. Congratulations, C & C!

4) Today I started a RunningAHEAD account so I can track my runs (and bike rides). I was hesitant to open an account before, mainly because I was running like, 1.5 miles and felt (perhaps inaccurately?) wusstastic. But today I overcame this mental block and joined the site. My name is Garky. If any of you all are on the site, friend me! (If that is an option.)

A small, mid-year goal of mine is to update more frequently, rather than having these giant, dump-truck posts. But when there's so much happening, it's difficult to find the time, yes? Excuses!

5 comments:

ruth said...

Whole wheat pastry is about the most brilliant thing ever! Yum.

Peach Pit said...

I know - I love it!
If you have free time this weekend, bake these muffins! I can't recommend them highly enough.

ahook said...

If you do not post a picture of your cross-stitched hamburger, I will be very sad.

Valerie said...

The muffins sound good!! I copied the recipe and hope to make it soon.

Peach Pit said...

H: Do not fear, I will post a pic of the burger when it is finished! Right now, it just looks like a few tiny stitches.

V: The muffins are awesome - happy baking!