Monday, December 1, 2008

Let's just say I'm less than thrilled that the holiday weekend is over & that it's back to the regular routine. That's the thing about holiday weekends: afterwards, the transition back to one's regular schedule is un-fun and grouchy.

Some good things:

1) I realized today (while re-doing the Key Office's whiteboard calendar) that there are only two weeks of classes left (three of the semester). Hot damn! Salvation will be here before I know it.

2) Saturday, my mom, sis & I spent the day in Shelburne Falls, quite possibly the cutest place in MA. It reminded me a lot of Osceola, WI: both towns are on the scenic riverfront, both are rife with mom & pop cafes/gift shops/trees, both are nice weekend diversions. I hadn't thought about Osceola in who knows how long; when I was in high school/college, I used to drive there from CR to get my hair cut. (A good family friend has her own salon there.) Getting a haircut was a daylong event: the drive to Osceola took an hour; the cut itself, an hour. Afterward, I'd get lunch at Dagwood's, a place on Main St. specializing in subs and tacos. Then, I'd spend an hour or so browsing the antique store, looking for Lucite earrings and chunky plastic bracelets. Ah, Osceola. Dagwood's is closed, I'm fairly certain. In fact, it may have closed while I was still in college, the market for tacos and cold cuts not being as strong as it once was. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to venture (mid)westward before the winter's up.

Happy post-Thanksgiving! And pre-winter! Let's all not be too long faced at work and school today. The end.

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

My hometown, St. Croix Falls, is two towns away from Osceola (with Dresser in the middle, part of the SCF school district). Osceola is my school's rival, and for their homecoming their cross country team and my cross country team ran the ball from SCF to Osceola.

Yeah, Osceola's okay. I was always a little jealous. Their Dairy Queen was way better.

Peach Pit said...

I've been to that Dairy Queen many a time: it is a pretty good one, in terms of staff friendliness, but if I remember correctly, the seating area was pretty small...

Wow: I had no idea that St. Croix Falls was so close to Osceola(!) Just another example of my geographic ineptitude.

Jeannie said...

My Dairy Queen doesn't have a seating area at all, unless you count the picnic tables outside. Also, they close down from November to April.

ruth said...

I love the idea that one might open a restaurant specializing in subs and tacos.

Peach Pit said...

Jeannie: Yes, the Osceola DQ also closes seasonally. All this talk about DQ makes me want a mini blizzard! Sadly, there are no regular Dairy Queens around here, just that weird mall kiosk one...

Ruth: I think by most people's standards, Dagwood's would have been considered a sub shop, but the tacos and subs were advertised equally aggressively, so...taco & subs it is!