Friday, May 2, 2008

Flunk!

Happy belated Flunk Day to any Knox peeps who may remain in the readership! (Happy recovery, I guess I should say.) I hope the weather in Illinois was better than it is here, here being rainy and 45 degrees. Yesterday's email got me thinking about Flunk Days past - three, in all - and how singular & great the tradition is. I have spread the good word to those unfamiliar with the tradition, but the explanation bears repeating: Flunk Day is a day (undisclosed to the student body until 5 AM of the day itself) on which the Knox administrators cancel all classes and provide picnics/carnival-type amusements (foam pit, DJs, petting zoos, mechanical bulls, and so forth) for the Knox community. The students are awoken at dawn by a select group of upperclassmen ("friars"); at this point, heavy drinking commences. Most people prepare a Flunk Day stash of booze: because the holiday could be declared at any time, one must be prepared! Naturally, a certain amount of drama can/will happen on Flunk Day, but mostly, everyone is jovial & filled with goodwill.

Ahh, Flunk Day.

Sad news: Eric and I have to reschedule our birthday BBQ, planned for tomorrow. I don't understand how we had cloudless, high-80s days for the last two weeks of April, and now the weather is winter-like again. SUCK!

No comments: